Not A Member Yet?
Why Join AGLOW?
Founded in 1956, the Association of Great Lakes Outdoor Writers (AGLOW) is a dynamic organization of writers, editors, publishers, broadcasters, authors, lecturers, photographers, artists, electronic media specialists, outdoors industry representatives, and tourism professionals, working together to promote the conservation and responsible use of our outdoor resources. As individual outdoor communicators, we educate and inform the masses through the written and spoken word. As an organization, we foster an unmatched fellowship among our members and provide amazing networking, educational and craft improvement opportunities.
5 GREAT REASONS TO JOIN AGLOW
1. Industry Connections
3. Improve Your Craft
5. Family and Fun
If this sounds good to you, you’re halfway there. Next step is to qualify for membership. Choose one of the membership categories below, then if you meet the requirements, fill out and submit a Membership application. Our Board reviews all applicants and will notify you in a timely manner.
Here are the types of membership we offer, as well as the application requirements:
Corporate Member shall be one that is engaged in commercial or public relations efforts directly related to the outdoors, including manufacturers of outdoor goods or providers of outdoor services, outdoors destination marketing, their representatives, distributors, advertising or public relations agents, etc.
Become a Corporate Member
Active Member shall be one who is duly paid to produce, disseminate or edit outdoor information regularly to the public by means of newspapers, electronic media, magazines, books, journals, lectures, photography (film/video/still), art or other suitable media.
In determining eligibility for Active membership, the Membership Screening Committee and Board of Directors shall be broadly guided, but not inflexibly bound, by the following criteria pertaining to the prescribed regularity of dissemination:
- Newspapers: 40 columns or articles during the previous 12 months. A syndicated writer must have more than one publication carrying the same article; material appearing every two weeks.
- Radio/Television: 13 programs of 30-minute format or 40 programs of 2-5 minute format during the previous 12 months.
- Magazines: Six articles in general circulation magazines during the previous 12 months.
- Books: One published book during the previous 24 months.
- Book Editor: Full-time or freelance Submit letter from immediate supervisor.
- Digital Media Specialist: Communicators engaged in producing blog/vlog or other online-only media content will qualify for Active Membership if he or she provide documentation of the following: 500 average unique views per month over a 12-month period and meet three of four of the following qualifications: 1) Maintained a digital media site on outdoor-related activities in any format that allows response feedback for a minimum of one year; 2) Proof of income from communicating about outdoor-related subjects; 3) Average at least two editorial postings per month over a 12-month period (redistribution of press releases does not qualify, all material must be generated by the applicant); 4) Must reveal source for all outside support contributing to content of postings.
- Still Photography: 36 published outdoor-related photos during the previous 12 months.
- Videography: Produce, photograph or write script for one complete production of at least 30 minutes during the previous 24 months. Shorter features may be combined for total.
- Video: Produce one every 12 months of at least 50 minutes or a number of shorter videos equaling 50 minutes in total length. All must be produced in quantities of 500 or more for commercial sale.
- Lectures: 18 during the previous 12 months.
- Cartoonist/Artist/Illustrator: 12 published works during the previous 12 months.
- Public Relations: Must devote at least 50 percent of time to servicing accounts of clients engaged in outdoor activities or subjects, and whose activities involve outdoor information other than product publicity.
- Website Content Director, Writer, Editor, Photographer, Artist or Designer: A website content director, writer, editor, photographer, artist or designer will qualify for Active Membership if he or she provide documentation of the following: 24 URLs of website content or design work published and compensated in the past 12 months. This may include web features or actual web pages developed in which they personally generated the content. Applicants should submit supporting pages demonstrating regular content updates. The same piece appearing on multiple websites counts as one submission.
Any combination of the above that satisfies the Membership Screening Committee and Board of Directors.
Become an Active Member
Associate Member shall be one who satisfies at least 50 percent of the requirements for Active status is eligible if they have a strong, direct professional or commercial interest in outdoors communications and has the potential for becoming an Active member within three (3) years. This does not apply to Associate members who joined prior to Sept. 27, 1989.
Become an Associate Member
Student Member shall be one who is a full-time student who has an active interest in outdoors communications.
Become a Student Member
What Our Members Are Saying
Don’t just take it from us, let our Members do the talking!
“The decision to participate in AGLOW has been a positive return on investment for Lake of the Woods Tourism and certainly myself. The opportunity to create win-wins with outdoor media is a tremendous value in marketing and promoting our destination.
“The connection between a brand and its consumers is important. Often times it is a break in communication of some fashion that a brand will lose its top of mind awareness with its consumers. Clam Outdoors has supported AGLOW for this reason…communication. Clam has grown immensely in recent years beyond its core business of ice fishing into both summer camping & fishing products along with utility trailers. The media that are a part of AGLOW can take great pride in aiding in that growth.
It’s also about the people! The networking and relationship building that takes place at AGLOW events is just as important as anything. I have met many great people that I have learned from, became good friends with and created many working relationships being a part of this organization. They produce results and as a brand in the outdoor industry…that is extremely important.”Nick Chiodo